Sunday 8 May 2011

Take the long way round these little isles

The Independent rapporte aniet:
I ask Arthur if the local psyche has become a little confused by the influences of its two bigger neighbours and if Jerseyness has got lost in their midst.
(...)
He guesses that probably only about 2 per cent now speak the local patois, Jèrriais. "My great-grandfather was Norman, and I had a Breton grandfather. I consider myself French, but my wife says I'm a Jerseyman," he adds. That's clear, then.(...)
(...)
Finally, we turn inland, stopping at a cotil – one of the steep south- and west-facing slopes where the delicious, multi-eyed Jersey Royal potatoes grow, rather like a vineyard – before finally working our way down to the quaint harbour of Rozel to conclude a pleasurable morning.

And the word côti (although it's not pointed out in the article) is a Jèrriais word, of course.

No comments: